Getting off to a good start with music lessons is important to success. The following are tips for parents in helping your children be ready and get the most from their music lessons:
- Be on time
- Have your piano tuned and ready for use, including the bench of proper height
- Have any previous lesson materials or any new materials recommended for getting started, including a notebook for the teacher to write down the practice lesson plan for the week.
- Schedule daily practice time for success when your child can be most focused
- Plan for practice times to occur in a quiet, comfortable, well-lighted room and location
- Voice students will find it helpful to have a recording device to use in voice lessons to record exercises and song material and to be able to use YouTube as a resource to listen to recordings.
- Parents, be prepared to monitor and give guidance to young students not yet independent to monitor themselves without parent involvement. (non-reading students)
- Provide encouragement and praise for effort
- Stick with it! Music lessons take time and are a discipline. Results and progress is seen over time with consistency. You get out of it what you put into it. Children need encouragement to stick with things in order to see the benefit.
- Finally, communicate with the teacher and have fun!
Happy Music Lessons!